[pmwiki-users] CSS for one (or all) tag in _a single_ page (inline or in head)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Aug 24 12:52:19 CDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 10:45:52AM -0700, Andrew Standfield wrote:
> I don't think there's any more chance of malicious authors doing bad
> things with css then there is with allowing *any* form of markup.

PmWiki's existing markups are fairly limited in terms of what
can be done -- i.e., it's difficult for an author to perform
a cross-site scripting attack using PmWiki's existing markups.

However, if an author can generate arbitrary CSS, then cross-site
attacks become much more possible.

> I think a bigger issue would be novices to CSS creating unstable
> style sheets. I've actually tried to think of ways to combat that or
> if you just want for the admin to be able to include styles. It would
> be interesting to require some kind of password for the (:stylepage:)
> directive.

That's a bit backwards -- the trick isn't to password protect
the stylepage directive, but to password-protect whatever it
includes.  (Stated slightly differently:  password-protection of
the directive doesn't prevent someone from editing the page
it's including.)

So, for example, if (:stylepage:) were limited to including pages
from the Site group, then it's much safer because edit access to
Site.* pages is usually well protected.

Pm