[pmwiki-users] White-space=pre (Was Indent multiple paragraphs at once?)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Aug 25 16:01:30 CDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 09:28:11PM +0000, Pico wrote:
> Hans <hans.bracker <at> googlemail.com> writes:
> >
> > Re: white-space=pre
> > I want to add that this will preserve any white spaces and line breaks
> > in the text, but still uses the standard proportional fonts, and
> > preserves links and wiki markup working.
> >

> Should PmWiki's whitespace markup be preserved when the CSS white-space=pre
> property is invoked as a WikiStyle?
>
> The issue is unexpected font changes that result when the whitespace that is
> intended to be preserved by white-space=pre is interpreted by PmWiki's
> whitespace rules to trigger a font change.

PmWiki's whitespace rules don't trigger font changes, at least
not directly.  They may cause the resulting HTML to be semantically
different, which results in a stylistic difference due to the
stylesheet properties set for each element, but PmWiki itself
doesn't cause the fonts to change.

> On the other hand, if no changes were made to the processing of wiki
> markup by white-space=pre, would it be possible to cause that
> style to default to the same array of fonts that are used by
> PmWiki's whitespace rules.

I'm afraid I can't really answer this question, because PmWiki
doesn't maintain an array of fonts or do anything to change
font styles other than what is explicitly in the markup.

So, perhaps ask again...?