[pmwiki-users] Mac OS X Upgrades

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Aug 26 08:57:42 CDT 2006

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 03:25:54AM -0400, Scott Connard wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> In a response to an upgrade question, you casually mentioned
>
> >Thus, the PmWiki distribution never modifies any files in the local/,
> >cookbook/, or pub/css/ directories.  (It also leaves wiki.d/ and
> >uploads/ intact.)  So, as long as any configuration changes you
> >make are limited to files in those directories, it's quite
> >safe (except under Mac OS/X) to simply copy a new version of PmWiki
> >on top of your existing version.
>
> As a Mac user, I'm not sure why you singled us out.  The PmWiki
> upgrade instructions don't mention any real issues on Mac OS X.  All
> I can think of is that you meant that you can't drag the installation
> directory into place and must use tar or cp from within Terminal.

Yes, that's exactly it -- I'm told that dragging the installation
directory into place under Mac OS tends to erase local/ and cookbook/,
which is definitely a Bad Thing.  I've been meaning to add this little
snippet to the upgrade instructions but just haven't found the right
wording yet.

I think I had also been told that using "cp -r" from within Terminal
also had similar problems, but I'd be very happy to learn that this
works fine.  I won't feel obligated to single out the Mac in the
future -- just a warning against dragging will be sufficient.  :-)

Thanks!