[pmwiki-users] Wiki Farm question

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Aug 26 11:59:23 CDT 2006

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 11:58:17AM -0400, Sandy wrote:
> Firstly, I love this program! My first test of farms was the basic farm
> setup in pmwiki/wikifarms. If you ignore my typos and mis-directed
> relative references, it went quite smoothly.
>
> Now for the next step:
>
> 1. Is it possible to have everything but the wiki.d (and it's
> config.php) in a non-web-accessible directory?

Actually, neither wiki.d nor config.php have to be in a
web-accessible directory.  From a security perspective it's
even better if they aren't.

The only things that need to be web-accessible are the pub/
directory and some way of accessing the pmwiki.php script
itself (either directly or through an include or alias).

If using direct downloads for attachments
($EnableDirectDownload=1) then any uploads directories
also need to be web-accessible.

Everything else can be installed outside of a web-accessible
directory, although it takes some (not much) configuration
to make it happen.

People often ask if we could have some "official" standard
for setting up farms, but there are so many different
environments and applications that I'm hesitant to choose
any particular method as being the "best" way to do it.
That said, when I get $SkinLibDirs or something like it
implemented, I'll publish the way that I set up my
wiki farms, which is primarily intended to support multiple
independent domains from a single PmWiki installation.

> 2. Would this improve the security enough to bother with?

It can, yes.