[pmwiki-users] Archiving old/obsolete pages

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Aug 30 22:23:12 CDT 2006

At 2006-08-30  09:06 PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>At some level I almost want it to be just a keyword on the page,
>such as (:archived:), and we ignore pages with that keyword on it.
>
>Another approach might be to have an archive.d/ directory (analogous
>to wiki.d/ and wikilib.d/ ) where page files get moved when they're
>archived.  Then we simply let pagelist and search skip over archive.d/
>when looking up pages.  Everything else then works the same.

Any scheme that leaves archived pages accessible by the same URL they
lived at prior to archiving is bound to lead to some confusion. Local
searches may not find them, but bookmarks, links, and external search
engines will still pop them up.

I currently archive pages on some of my wikis by moving them into an
"archived" group which is read protected. I can go in and retrieve
things if I need to, but it keeps the rest of the wiki tidy. And if
links get broken? Well, it provides an incentive to remove or
redirect the link or to create a new page with current content.

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/