[pmwiki-users] Has the 'DownloadManager' recipe has been marked "abandoned"?

IchBin weconsul at ptd.net
Thu Aug 31 01:56:41 CDT 2006

Ben Wilson wrote:
> On 8/29/06, IchBin <weconsul at ptd.net> wrote:
>> I realize that everyone is busy but just wondering if the
>> 'DownloadManager' recipe has been marked "abandoned" or if someone has
>> picked up support for this recipe? Patrick has mentioned these two
>> possibilities for the demise of this recipe.
>>
>> I have emailed the owner a few times with no response. That recipe could
>> not be that difficult to maintain. I would shoot the error and maintain
>> it but I am a Java programmer just trying to absorb PHP as fast as I can.
>>
>> One question I have about debugging recipes. Is it possible that I could
>> use a PHP IDE that has an interactive debugger to step thru the recipe.
>> I have not sat down and tried to do that yet. I currently use Eclipse
>> PHP, PHPEdit and PHP Designer products.
>>
>> Can anyone give me some direction or tips on debugging recipes?
>
> I only use the down-and-dirty experimentation method---die statements
> and print_r() for printing data structures. When the recipe is written
> well they're not generally that hard to read. Of course, I only use
> vim as an editor. Heck, I use it to write course thesises (ala TeX).
>
>> Also I thought that I found the documentation for say 'SDV()' or
>> 'SDVA()' commands on the pmWiki site but can not find them now. Could
>> some one point me to where I can find these pmWiki commands?
>
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Functions. Essentially, SDV() will
> only assign a value to a global variable if that variable has not
> already been set. Thus, the local configuration can set the variable
> _before_ PmWiki, and PmWiki will not clobber that setting. SDV() also
> works with associative arrays on a key-by-key basis. This allows you
> to set only one key of an array locally, and let PmWiki (or a recipe)
> set the remainder.
>
>> Since moving some of my website from a JSP\Server base to pmWiki I can
>> not release my code for download until I have some way to trap download
>> information. Is their any other paths I could take say like AWStats?
>
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/VisitorsLogging
>
> I use this in an course outline bank to track downloads of outlines.
> It lists page views, downloads, etc. I think another recipe has
> superceded it, but I'm not immediately aware of it.

Thanks Ben for responding to my questions. I did find and installed
VisitorsLogging. The newer branch does the same but updates a wiki page.
I installed that one also just to run locally for a while. It's called
Action Log.

I still do not see my downloads in either the logfiles or wiki page.
Another one I would rather have running is TotalCounter. I installed and
start the wiki and starts with a blank screen. As it turns out the same
person who wrote downloadman, so their goes another recipe.

--
Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA              http://weconsultants.phpnet.us