[pmwiki-users] PMWiki default documents vs search engines

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Dec 14 11:53:05 CST 2006

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 06:35:27AM +0000, Ian Barton wrote:
> I can't see any mention of the effects of not including
> <!--HeaderText--> or <!--HTMLHeader--> in the Skin Guidelines page.
> Perhaps if we added an explanation of why this is a "good thing" skin
> authors would make sure their skin includes it.

It's mentioned in the http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/SkinTemplates
page:

    ... Two special directives are required in the template file. The
    directive <!--PageText--> belongs to the <body> section of the
    HTML document, and tells PmWiki where the main content of each wiki
    page should be placed. The other required directive is
    <!--HTMLHeader-->, which goes somewhere in the <head> section of
    the HTML document.

I'm thinking that for 2.2.0 I'll have the skins.php code check for
the presence of <!--HTMLHeader--> (or <!--HeaderText-->) in the
skin template file and generate an error message if it's not
present.  We'll also have a configuration option that suppresses
this check for sites that *really* want a page template without
<!--HTMLHeader-->.