[pmwiki-users] Using Site.AuthUser for Controlling Access to wiki Page Groups

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Mon Dec 18 07:10:16 CST 2006

Ian Barton wrote:
>> Perhaps all this is already present in the framework and someone
>> can jus point me in the right direction. I *could* use PMwiki password
>> but then you have to configure every single group, and if you make a new
>> group you have to go and configure that one... you need to keep an
>> offline list of users and what password you have assigned to what groups
>> etc.
>> whereas doing all this at Site.AuthUser would be marvelous.
>>
> You can use the GroupName.GroupAttributes to set permissions for a whole
> group. This can contain user groups that you have set in Site.AuthUser.
> To restate your problem slightly:) I think you want some mechanism of
> automatically creating GroupName.GroupAttributes prefilled with the
> Site.AuthUser groups to give correct permissions.

I create authorization groups on the Site.AuthUser page that have the
same name as the wikigroup they grant access to.

So for example, on Site.AuthUser I would have:
@Groupx: NeilHerber, IanBarton

And on Groupx.GroupAttributes I would have:
Set new read password: @Groupx

I find this easy to maintain and simple to understand. It does require
setting the GroupAttributes - but just once.

--
Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/