[pmwiki-users] Page attributes

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Feb 1 14:00:32 CST 2006

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 01:02:05PM -0500, Waylan Limberg wrote:
> On 2/1/06, Henrik Bechmann <henrik at bechmannsoftware.com> wrote:
> > 2. A Description as an attribute of the page, so that search results,
> > tables of contents, and such could present the description of the page
> > with or instead of the page name (or alias). It would be set in the
> > environment as $PageDescription or some such.
>
> If I recall correctly, Patrick mentioned recently that he was
> interested in adding some sort of page description mechanism.

PmWiki already has the "(:description ...:)" markup to allow
a page to set its description, which results in the generation
of a <meta name='description' content='...' /> tag in the page
output.

I'll be promoting it to a page variable soon... probably {$Description}.

> However,
> last I knew he hadn't settled on what should be displayed if it hasn't
> been set. I think he was leaning towards a page excerpt, but was
> looking for suggestions on how much of the page constituted an
> excerpt.

That's correct.  I've abandoned the excerpt approach I had in an
earlier 2.1.beta, and need another way of doing it.  At the moment
I'm leaning towards the idea that a page without a (:description:)
just has an empty description.