[pmwiki-users] Automatic Group for Authenticated Users in AuthUser . . .

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Feb 1 16:32:35 CST 2006

On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 10:47:59PM +0000, Susan wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud <at> pobox.com> writes:
> > I spent a short period of time integrating .htgroup into AuthUser,
> > and I still plan to do it, but unfortunately it wasn't as straightforward
> > as I had hoped.
>
> I haven't been following the discussion (was leaving it until I had
> more time to digest it), but this snippet worried me, maybe unnecessarily.

In this case, I don't think you need to be worried.  :-)  PmWiki's
approach to most things is "you can use it with XYZ if you'd like,
but you aren't required to do so."

So, in this case, by "integrate .htgroup into AuthUser" I'm simply
trying to make it easy for administrators to use .htgroup definitions
if they want to do so, but it's not required or even the default setting.

> As an administrator, I'd rather not play around with .htaccess / .htgroup /
> .htpassword . I'm quite content to let CPanel (my admin package) deal with it,
> and not worry about forgetting a semi-colon or a key parameter.

This is sort of the point of AuthUser -- you can use a tool such
as CPanel to manage the .htpassword / .htgroup  settings, and then
tell PmWiki to use those.  Or you can handle wiki account administration
completely independent from .htpassword and .htgroup (e.g., for those
people who don't have CPanel).

Or you can combine the various approaches, so some settings come from
.htpassword, other settings come directly from Site.Authuser, and still
others come from the local configuration file or customizations.

"Simple things should be simple and complex things possible."  -- Alan Kay