[pmwiki-users] Attach: Syntax and the Default Upload Quick Reference

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 2 16:32:48 CST 2006

On 2/1/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 03:35:27PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:

> > > What about installations where uploads are "per page" or "per wiki"
> > > rather than "per group"? Last time I looked, the admin could
> > > configure any of these scenarios.
> > >
> > > I use per wiki and per group on different installations, but I am
> > > thinking of switching to per page on one because of the large number
> > > of attachments - and because I use (:attachlist:) to display them dynamically.
> >
> > That's a good point.  What's needed appears to be
> >
> >     (:if <$UploadPrefixFmt is ''>:)
> >     One instruction (site-wide).
> >     (:if <$UploadPrefixFmt is ''/$Group'>:)
> >     Another instruction (by group).
> >     (:if <$UploadPrefixFmt is ''/$FullName'>:)
> >     Yet another instruction (by page).
> >     (:if:)
>
> I think that's too complex for what we're trying to solve.
> I'd prefer instructions that make sense regardless of the
> configuration, if that's at all possible.

It's possible, however the reference wouldn't be optimally helpful
using the "least common denominator", would it?  I think accurate
Attach: syntax is important information to have there.

Do you mean the code to do that would be too complex, or the quick
reference page itself?

How about showing by-group instructions by default since
attachments-by-group is the PmWiki default and probably by far the
most common, with "by-site" and "by-page" examples in (:if name
{$SiteGroup}.UploadQuickReference:) blocks?  It might look like

   <by-group quick reference>
   (:if name {$SiteGroup}.UploadQuickReference:)
   <notes for administrator>
   <by-site quick reference>
   <by-page quick reference>

That way it wold be convenient for an an administrator make the
QuickReference match any change in $UploadPrefixFmt.  Is that still
too complex?

Hagan