[pmwiki-users] Attach: Syntax and the Default Upload Quick Reference

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Thu Feb 2 22:57:01 CST 2006

At 2006-02-02  06:23 PM -0700, H. Fox is rumored to have said:
>I still think the answer to the above question would change when
>$UploadPrefixFmt changes. To be specific, they might look like
>
>By-site:

>By-group:

>By-page:

>   Refer to a file attached to a page in a different WikiGroup with
>
>      Attach:GroupName.PageName/filename.ext
>
>   See also the Uploads documentation.

Much snipped above.

I am not sure that this is less confusing than the current state of
affairs. ;-)

I found the existing instructions on the upload page to be inadequate
for my users. For one thing, they can only see the instructions on
how to link to an attachment when uploading it - not when trying to
link to it. Another problem is that they cannot see what is there
until they try to upload, and then the (:attachlist:) markup reveals
the current files.

To get around these shortcomings, I created an attachment list area
at the bottom of all pages likely to attract attachments. The markup
is as follows:

  !!!Files that have been attached
*%blue%note that ... 0 bytes ... indicates a folder
(:attachlist:)

!!!!!![[{$Name}?action=upload | Attach another File]]

Note that this does not say whether the files are attached to the
page or group, but my authors don't care.

The "0 bytes" note is there because I have dropped in great piles of
files that used to be on an FTP server. They live inside various
folders. I  let Apache do the heavy lifting of serving these files.
This ends up *not* looking very wiki like, but it works much better
than the FTP server route did for me.

My users typically don't bother with the (:attach:) markup, because
the files all appear at the bottom of the page.

This is probably not a useable approach for most people, but it
suggests to me that "tuning" the upload message might be best left as
a local config item.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/