[pmwiki-users] formatting, indent

Jean DEMARTINI jean.d.demartini at wanadoo.fr
Mon Feb 6 02:03:33 CST 2006

Stephan Schildberg a écrit :

>>> Hey, that's not bad.  How about ->> instead?
>>>

>> I like ->>
>>

> It looks clean, but what happens, if you start the line with a ' > ' ?
> This was the reason I went for the more rare combination of double ->->
> I see no further reasons against ->>
>

>>> Do we need multi-level indents?
>>>

>> Not sure.  I wouldn't think so.
>>
>> See also
>>
>>     http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2005-July/015430.html
>>

> Hagan points out here something, which I need too. I want to start it in
> every line I wish, without any pararagraph or block dependency.
> Now an empty line has to be before the intendent.
>
> <Hagan on>So if you want PmWiki to produce output that's "just like in books"
> you'll need to get rid of the space between paragraphs.</Hagan off>
>
> regards,
> Stephan.

the tag ->> seems OK but I understand the objection raised by Stephan. A
null character could be useful to resolve ambiguities.

For instance:

->>blah, blah

gives:
    >blah, blah ...
    blah, blzh.

but ->>NULLblah, blah,
gives:
    blah, blah ...
blah, blzh.

The NULL character is a terminator for all tags but is rendered by nothing.
In fact the problem is more general: Is the parsing stopped as soon as a
tag is recognized or is the parsing is pursued till the longest tag is
recognized ?

This typical parsing problem is a good reason to choice tags that are
not the head part of another tag.

JDem