[pmwiki-users] formatting, indent

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Feb 6 07:57:05 CST 2006

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 09:03:33AM +0100, Jean DEMARTINI wrote:
> the tag ->> seems OK but I understand the objection raised by Stephan. A
> null character could be useful to resolve ambiguities.

PmWiki already has a null character, it's [==] .  Using %% also often
works.

> For instance:
>
> ->>blah, blah
>
> gives:
>     >blah, blah ...
>     blah, blzh.

If we add the ->> syntax, then the above would render with a leading
greater-than sign.  I think it's very unlikely that anyone is using
"->>" in pages for anything at the moment.

> The NULL character is a terminator for all tags but is rendered by nothing.
> In fact the problem is more general: Is the parsing stopped as soon as a
> tag is recognized or is the parsing is pursued till the longest tag is
> recognized ?

It depends on the construction of the pattern matching rules
and the order in which their applied -- PmWiki doesn't think of
things in terms of tokens in the traditional programming language
sense.