[pmwiki-users] Clean URLS cookbook question

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Feb 6 08:20:11 CST 2006

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 03:41:55PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> After working for a few hours on  that page, I think maybe it should
> be called something like "ShorterUrls" because 'getting rid of
> "pmwiki.php?n="' is not all people are trying to do.
>
> It turns out there are three shorter-URL issues:
>
> a) Getting rid of "pmwiki.php"
> b) Turning ?n=Foo.Bar into /Foo/Bar
> c) Calling PmWiki from a "higher" directory, perhaps even the server's
> document root.
>
> All three make the URL shorter but only (b) "cleans" the URLs.
>
> Some servers may not give the wiki administrator control over
> mod_rewrite or (especially) mod_alias.  Virtually all servers support
> (b) and (c).

Alas, in my experience there are a significant number of Apache
installations that don't support (b), or won't allow the wiki
administrator to use /Foo/Bar without using mod_rewrite.

This is part of the reason why 2.0 switched $EnablePathInfo to be
disabled by default.

(Another reason for the switch is that it's even *more* difficult
to use $EnablePathInfo on IIS-based servers than it is on Apache,
but that's really outside of the scope of this discussion. :-)