[pmwiki-users] setting up some blogs

Jon Haupt jhaupt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 20:09:02 CST 2006

On 2/9/06, Bronwyn Boltwood <bronwyn at bronwynb.info> wrote:
> I'd like to create a couple blogs, so I thought I'd ask how blogging
> support is going, and get ideas on what I can do using the latest
> betas.  I'd like to use PmWiki for this, since I would not have to
> spend days or weeks learning how to tweak it (unlike Wordpress,
> Textpattern, etc.), and I really want versioning.  Blog engines
> generally don't do versioning.
>
> One project is a professional blog that I want to integrate with my
> portfolio.  The second project is a serialized novel or diary of an
> RPG campaign.  It might be one blog with different authors, or one
> field per author. (This one is the reason versioning is so important
> to me.)
>
> Essential features:
>
> - Categories -- already working smoothly
> - Draft vs. Published status -- just added in the last few betas!
> - Article lists -- should be doable with pagelist, but I'm not sure if
> I can automate it entirely, based on Hans' experience.
>         - Front page
>         - Archives by time
>         - Archives by category
> - Feeds -- There's a Jan 11 letter from Pm saying that you can make
> feeds from any pagelist source, but there isn't much documentation on
> how to do it.  I want feeds for:
>         - Most recent posts
>         - By category
>         - Most recent comments
> - Comments -- I know there's a cookbook script; I should play with it.
> - Pings -- I want to automatically ping services that track blog
> updates when I make new posts, because that's an effective way to
> publicize the blog.
>
> Nice to have:
> - trackbacks -- acknowledges posts that link to your post.
> - archive by author
> - feed by author
>
> So, are there any tips on how best to do this, or any news?
>
> Thanks all,
> Bronwyn

As well, another one of the blog-related things talked about earlier
(in oh, the end of December?) was how $ctime might be alterable and
perhaps the first non-password page attribute editable in
?action=attr... having played around a little just this week with
migrating blog entries from a wordpress blog to PmWiki, I should say
this is the only difficult part of moving a given entry at the moment,
because you have to edit the wiki.d file and then do a lot of math to
figure out what the right number should be.

Jon