[pmwiki-users] formatting, indent

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Feb 12 13:00:53 CST 2006

On 2/11/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 03:39:25PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> > On 10 Feb 2006 14:16:12 +1300, John Rankin <john.rankin at affinity.co.nz> wrote:
>
> Actually, PmWiki starts a new paragraph with the first markup line
> that doesn't result in some other form of block markup.  The blank
> line isn't required.
[...]
> > What's being suggested (I thought) is an alternative way to indicate
> > the start of a paragraph, like
> >
> >     Paragraph one.
> >     +Paragraph two.
>
> This is what I'm looking for... a way to positively indicate
> the start of a new paragraph.  Currently we only obtain paragraphs
> implicitly -- i.e., markup lines that aren't part of any other block.

That makes sense.

> >     Paragraph one.
> >     +Paragraph two.
> >
> > are similar, except the second example treats paragraph two a a
> > paragraph that may be styled differently.
> >
> > I think the default alternative paragraph style should be "book-like"
> > paragraphs that are indented, with no blank line between.
>
> I'm thinking the indent will be a skin setting or local customization,
> as opposed to a PmWiki default.

This is what I expected.

How about a possibility of defining it in a wiki page, e.g. a
GroupHeader?  You could (I think) do +%block wikistyle% for a single
paragraph, but how about defining a wikistyle for all of the
"positively-indicated paragraphs" in the page that follow the
wikistyle definition?

> > > Stuff
> > > +more stuff and
>
> Probably (formatted here for legibility, PmWiki would place the
> linebreaks differently):

> > > #Stuff
> > > +more stuff

> >     # Stuff
> >     +more stuff and
> >     # Stuff
> >
> >     more stuff

> > ... if that matters, because that's not markup you're likely to
> > actually see. These probably matter more:
> >
> >     # Stuff
> >       +more stuff and
> >     # Stuff
> >
> >       more stuff and
>
>     <ol>
>       <li>Stuff
>       <li>Stuff
>         more stuff and</li>
>     </ol>
>
> Using '+' also begs the question of what happens with multiple '+'s,
> do we get indented paragraphs?
>
>     here is text
>     +here's a paragraph
>     ++what's this?

I'd expect

This could be useful.  (Perhaps not for indented paragraphs, though.)

That begs another question: What about a lone '+' on a line?

Hagan