[pmwiki-users] formatting, indent

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Sun Feb 12 16:40:45 CST 2006

On Monday, 13 February 2006 8:00 AM, H. Fox <haganfox at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>[...]
>> > What's being suggested (I thought) is an alternative way to indicate
>> > the start of a paragraph, like
>> >
>> >     Paragraph one.
>> >     +Paragraph two.
>>
>> This is what I'm looking for... a way to positively indicate
>> the start of a new paragraph.  Currently we only obtain paragraphs
>> implicitly -- i.e., markup lines that aren't part of any
>other block.
>
>That makes sense.

Yes.

>> >     Paragraph one.
>> >     +Paragraph two.
>> >
>> > are similar, except the second example treats paragraph two a a
>> > paragraph that may be styled differently.
>> >
>> > I think the default alternative paragraph style should be "book-like"
>> > paragraphs that are indented, with no blank line between.
>>
>> I'm thinking the indent will be a skin setting or local customization,
>> as opposed to a PmWiki default.
>
>This is what I expected.

Yes.

>How about a possibility of defining it in a wiki page, e.g. a
>GroupHeader?  You could (I think) do +%block wikistyle% for a single
>paragraph, but how about defining a wikistyle for all of the
>"positively-indicated paragraphs" in the page that follow the
>wikistyle definition?

It sounds as if you'd like to be able to define an entire
style sheet in a wiki page? After all, there is nothing
special about the foo class...

<snip>
>> Using '+' also begs the question of what happens with multiple '+'s,
>> do we get indented paragraphs?
>>
>>     here is text
>>     +here's a paragraph
>>     ++what's this?
>
>I'd expect

Yes.

>This could be useful.  (Perhaps not for indented paragraphs,
>though.)
>
>That begs another question: What about a lone '+' on a line?

Presumably we'd get

This all seems very reasonable and coherent to me. Thinking
about possible markups, another option would be (by analogy
with Q: and A:

P:I'm a paragraph.

This would avoid the "what does '++' mean?" issue. For other
start of line markups, character repeats have an obvious
meaning. In a sense, "I'm a new paragraph" is more like
Q: and A: than it is like * or !.

Just a thought.

--
JR