[pmwiki-users] "Wanted Pages" Recipe?

Kurt Devlin kurt.devlin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 15:13:42 CST 2006

On 2/14/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 03:16:16PM -0500, Kurt Devlin wrote:
> > On 2/14/06, Neil Herber <nospam at eton.ca> wrote:
> >
> > > Have a look at:
> > >    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/RefCount
> >
> >    Thanks Neil. That's a good start. I was hoping to not fill out a form
> >    before I got the information for something more closely following the
> >    Wikipedia page. From a quick look at refcount.php, it wasn't obvious
> that
> >    there was an easy way to write a cookbook recipe to pass in the group
> >    ('all' or a single name) and the type ('all', 'missing', etc. )
> without an
> >    extensive refactoring of PrintRefCount(). I think if generating the
> form
> >    was decoupled from the actual generation of the page it would be
> easier to
> >    tackle. For the time being, filling in the form manually will have to
> do.
> >    :-)
>
> The current plan is for this to be handled using (:pagelist:),
> although I haven't decided on the appropriate argument name.
> At the moment I'm thinking it'll be "type", thus:

'type' is a good attribute name, but it could also be used to reference the
type of pagelist generated (short,long,etc.), but I guess that is what the
'fmt' attribute is. 'state' is another possible attribute name for this.

    (:pagelist type=missing|orphan|all|existing:)

> PmWiki's default is "type=existing".  "Missing" will list
> the "wanted pages" -- i.e., pages for which there are links to
> the page but the page doesn't exist yet.  "Orphan" will list
> pages that exist but don't have any links to them except for
> links from the RecentChanges pages.  "All" will include both
> missing and existing pages in the output.
>
> Of course, this can be combined with other options, thus
>
>     (:pagelist type=missing group=PmWiki:)
>         - show missing pages in the PmWiki group
>
>     (:pagelist type=orphan group=-Main:)
>         - show orphan pages except for the Main group
>
> One way in which this is less capable than the current refcount.php
> script is that it's not possible to get a list of "pages in group
> A with links from groups A and B", but I don't know that this
> sort of query gets used very often anyway.

It wasn't very clear what the second group list in the refcount form was
for. It makes more sense now. This would be useful to say "Show me the
existing pages in group X that are referenced from group Y". I'm not sure it
has as obvious applications for orphaned or missing pages.

That's the current plan.  :-)

I wound up forcing the form parameters onto the command line. My first
attempt at this was using broken, but it looks like it's working now. This
should get me by until pagelist is updated.

http://www.pmwiki.com/wiki/Main/HomePage?action=refcount&whichrefs=missing&tlist[]=PmWiki&flist[]=PmWiki&showrefs=checked&submit=Search

Thanks,
Kurt