[pmwiki-users] Proposed Default Stylesheet (pmwiki.css)

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 16 18:06:32 CST 2006

On 2/16/06, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
> Joachim Durchholz schrieb:
> > 6) The vertical margins/paddings in <ul> and/or <li> are broken. If you
> > look at the side bar, you'll see that if there's a sequence of subitems,
> > the item heading them has less empty space above it than below. That's
> > just reverse of how it should be (if the empty space should be different
> > at all - I'd prefer if line distances were all equal, but would tolerate
> > slight differences).
> > This problem seems to be inherited from the 2.0 PmWiki stylesheet.
>
> I just noticed that the same phenomenon applies to headings. The free
> space above them is less than the free space below them, and it should
> be just the other way round (they are logically associated with the
> following text after all).

It should be the opposite.  See

http://qdig.sourceforge.net/wiki-skins/sshots/Test/Archived/0060-HeadingsAndText-a.png

Maybe it varies from browser to browser?  The solution may be to
explicitly set the margin above headings (which will take some tedious
testing).

h1 { font-size:1.8em; margin-bottom:18px; }
h2 { font-size:1.4em; margin-bottom:16px; }

will become

h1 { font-size:1.8em; margin-top:<something>; margin-bottom:18px; }
h2 { font-size:1.4em; margin-top:<something>; margin-bottom:16px; }

Much fine-tuning was done with the margin-bottom values.  Note that

    !! Heading
    Text

and

    !! Heading

    Text

display a slightly different amount of whitespace.  I originally had
even less space below heading but Pm commented that the above
difference...

"is likely to be lost on many authors, meaning that same-level headings
on a page would likely end up with varying amounts of whitespace between
the heading and its subsequent text."

so he Pm may prefer to take away the control in case some people can't
figure out how to use it.

I like giving the author control because I think if it looks bad,
they'll figure out how to fix it.  Regardless, as a result of Pm's
comment I expanded the bottom margin in hopes of a compromise (less
whitespace control for clueful authors and less effect on whitespace
for inattentive ones).

The bottom line is that I agree that the space below should be smaller
than the space above so the heading will be visually associated with
the following text.  Unfortunately that means an extra newline below a
heading in the markup might produce extra whitespace below a heading
in the rendered page, and Pm's initial reaction was against allowing
that.

Hagan