[pmwiki-users] Endless waiting

Allister Jenks arj at zkarj.co.nz
Fri Feb 17 01:30:02 CST 2006

On 2/17/06, Jan Erik Moström <lists at mostrom.pp.se> wrote:

> A question:
>
> I'm running a pmwiki locally on my powerbook, one thing I've noticed is
> that
> if type
>
>         http://127.0.0.1/~jem/privat
>
> then the page will never load, but if I type
>
>         http://127.0.0.1/~jem/privat/
>
> then everything works perfectly. What could be the reason?

Strictly speaking the above two URLs are referring to completely different
things.

http://127.0.0.1/~jem/privat refers to a *document* called "privat" in the
/~jem directory.

http://127.0.0.1/~jem/privat/ refers to the *directory* "privat" in the
/~jem directory and therefore, according to the protocols, a default
document within that directory.

So in your case, having the trailing slash gives expected results and
omitting it gets into some crazy loop as it tries to deal with "privat" as a
document/script/whatever.

My brother uses Macs and some time ago he had a problem with Safari not
being able to access my website because I was sending him links without the
trailing slash.  Once he added the slash, all worked perfectly.  I think in
total it must be a conversation between the browser and server.

Browser: Give me this object
Server: Doesn't exist
Browser: Give me the default document in this directory
Server: Here you go

My brother's experience suggests that it is definitely the browser that
makes the decision between object and directory initially, but I do know
that the default documents are defined at the server (as only makes sense).

Most browsers other than Safari seem to have this conversation but
apparently Safari (or at least some versions) doesn't.

Hope this helps.

--
Allister