[pmwiki-users] Proposed Default Stylesheet (pmwiki.css)

Susan pmwiki at onebit.ca
Sun Feb 19 09:37:35 CST 2006

Are you thinking of changing the way PmWiki converts wiki-text to HTML,
or just working on a style sheet?

Changing the way PmWiki converts wiki-text to HTML will likely mess up
existing installations. However, if that's what you're considering, I'd
say that blank vertical space in the wiki text gets eaten:

One newline character is ignored (converted to a space between words).
Most authors can't tell whether they've included one or not.

(Option 1: Maybe an exception for <Hx> and <DT>, because they are
usually only one-line. In this case, how would longer headings be
indicated? I'd say not to use this option.)

Two newline characters close all open tags, up to but not including
<DIV>. (<DIV> must be closed explicitly.)

Newline characters beyond two are ignored. If the author wants more
blank space than given by the CSS, he must ask for it, not just keep
hitting "enter".

Blocks of text begining with two newlines and no special code are
considered <P>. (If Option 1 is used, the next line after <Hx> is
assumed to be <P>.)

Most authors don't understand the difference between <P> and <BR>. So
long as <P> don't have a special first line, and a two <BR> give the
same blank space as an empty <P>, this doesn't matter. Otherwise, it's
up to the administrator who chose the style-sheet to educate the authors.

A function to go through the wiki-text and replace single newlines with
double ones would be useful for converting text from other programs.

Susan