[pmwiki-users] Proposed Default Stylesheet (pmwiki.css)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Feb 19 13:48:28 CST 2006

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 08:25:04PM +0100, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> >     '''Colour Schemes'''
> >     * Blue colours
> >     * Sky colours
> >     * Sky-Blue colours
> >     * Sand colours
> >
> > With the <p> elements having a full margin-bottom component, that
> > would mean that the list would end up with vertical whitespace between
> > "Colour schemes" and the first item in the list,  yes?  How could
> > we deal with that?
>
> [...]
> I see to reasonable decisions at this time:
> 1) Punt on the issue, and always have that empty space between
> enumeration and normal text. That's how HTML was designed after all.

By this reasoning, we should also punt on trying to make the
visual space after headings smaller than paragraph spacing, because
if a heading is followed by a list or such element it would
also override the heading setting.

> 2) Detect the situation, and insert a paragraph with a 0.1 pixel height
> between adjacent <ul>s (and anything else that's paragraph-like in HTML
> but isn't in PmWiki). It's an ugly hack IMNSHO.

Inserting a paragraph between adjacent elements is essentially
what PmWiki is currently doing with <p class='vspace'></p>,
except PmWiki uses such paragraphs to explicitly indicate the
presence of vertical space instead of the absence of it.  The
CSS and resulting output is simply much cleaner that way.