[pmwiki-users] wikiforms adds (:title:) option

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Thu Feb 23 15:35:44 CST 2006

On Friday, 24 February 2006 5:26 AM, Tegan Dowling <tmdowling at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 2/23/06, noskule <noskule at gmx.net> wrote:
> May we
>start first with a call for usecases ?

<snip>
> I'd have posted each record to a nicely-formatted page *and*
>created a corresponding set of hidden pages to generate the
>wikiform's wikitable. The wikitable would have had links in the
>user-name fields to the nicely-formatted pages and not to the
>wikiform pages at all (this was before the Page column of the
>wikitable could be hidden, so I also forced a click on the
>numeric-wikiform-page-link to redirect to the corresponding
>nicely-formatted page).
>
> All of that extra layer of pages because I wanted the virtues
>of the wikitable, but couldn't use the wikiforms pages because
>they couldn't be made CRM-like enough, and couldn't be made to
>hold other things like formatting, images, other text, links,
>etc.

Just a couple of thoughts:

- I think I might have come up with a way to hide the numeric
page name more completely. I still can't see an easy way to
work with non-numeric page names. I *think* we can insert
the value of the title field into the RecentChanges change
summary area, then do a bit of coding to unravel that back
to a page name. Interestingly, this means a reference to a
page's title could return more than one link... We'd need to
define a markup that says "this is a link to the page title".

- There is an idea on the wikiforms page of a display template
that can be used to control how a wikiforms page appears.
This has a lot of potential, in my view. If we take the wikiforms
:term:definition structure as a given, we could do quite a lot
to change the way a page appears -- even have different
views for different audiences. The challenge, which I haven't
got my head around, is to come up with a suitable markup
for describing a display template. I'd like to see a clear
specification of what such a markup would look like and
how we might implement it. I'm not sure I'll be able to
implement it, so contributions are welcome -- it could be
done as a completely separate recipe, I think. For consistency,
it would be nice to start with an assumption that it uses the
:term:definition markup, like the edit template pages.
However, we should be prepared to abandon the assumption
if it proves unworkable.

John
--
JR