[pmwiki-users] Search accross Fields

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Mon Feb 27 06:22:07 CST 2006

At 2006-02-27  05:01 AM +0100, Igor Galić is rumored to have said:
>Hello List, I'm using a WikiFarm to centralize 5
>wiki's which belong together. I'm doing this to
>ease the pain of configuration, as it's for
>"users" who will not want to create articles
>specifically with a certain Group prepended.
>However I do need the ability to search accross those fields,

I don't think there is much difference from a
user point of view if you have 5 groups or 5
fields. In both cases, you need to have unique
names to resolve to each page, and the unique
"part" is either part of the domain spec or part of the page name.

For example, what is the big advantage of:
         http://project1.example.com/pmwiki/group.page
over
         http://example.com/pmwiki/project1.page
???
You have to have a group specified (main, if
nothing else), so why not make it meaningful?

Also, users rarely need to "type" a group name.
If they are linking to a page in the same group,
then [[pagename]] is sufficient.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/