[pmwiki-users] RSS Feed + Read Protected Groups

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jan 6 09:48:58 CST 2006

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 04:16:04PM -0800, Richard A. Millard wrote:
>    First, I'm new to the list, please excuse me if I'm committing some major
>    Faux Pas.

Not at all, welcome to the list!

>    I was also hoping to set up a RSS feed of the Group.RecentChanges page, so
>    that we could all keep an easier eye on updates being made by each other.
>    I'd set the Read password on that particular page to "nopass", and the
>    page is viewable without authentication, but the RSS feed isn't.  I'm not
>    worried about protecting the content of the Group.RecentChanges page, just
>    the rest of the Wiki.
>
>    I have that Group password set using Eberron.GroupAttributes?action=attr ,
>    but I can't figure out how to allow Group.RecentChange to produce a RSS
>    feed, and still protect the rest of the Group behind a login password.
>
>    Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Sure thing!  It's good that you have Group.RecentChanges set to "nopass",
this is necessary for people to get the RSS feed w/o a password.  But
there's one other step you need to do -- in local/config.php you need
to set

    $EnablePageListProtect = 0;

Why is this needed?  Well, even though the Group.RecentChanges page
isn't read protected, all of the pages it's referencing *are* protected,
and in the past most admins have expressed that they want the existence
of such pages to be kept private and not "leak" out through things
such as searches, page lists, and (of course) RSS feeds.

By setting $EnablePageListProtect=0; you're telling the pagelist function
to go ahead and list pages that are read protected.  This doesn't allow
others to actually view the page without a password(*) -- it just lets them
see that the page exists.

(In an RSS feed someone might be able to see partial page contents
in the description/page excerpt.  This can be disabled if you wish --
let me know.)

Hope this helps!