[pmwiki-users] 2.1.beta18 released

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jan 10 17:45:15 CST 2006

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 05:12:59PM -0600, Jon Haupt wrote:
>    Okay, now I'm thoroughly confused, although perhaps the following will
>    make more sense now to you.
>
>    I updated both the test site and the little personal wiki to 2.1.beta19.
>    [...]

Jon and I took the discussion off-list, here's a summary of the
result:  The Apache server on that site seems to be having trouble
when the browser sends an If-Modified-Since header and PHP sends
back a Last-Modified header that is later -- when this occurs
Apache generates a 500 Internal Server Error.

This wasn't happening in beta17 and earlier, because PmWiki
wasn't sending Last-Modified headers.  Beta19 was supposed to
fix this, but the Google sitemap.php script was causing
PmWiki to generate a Last-Modified header anyway.

As a result, for beta20 I'm going to rework the entire
If-Modified-Since handling.  I wanted to do this anyway
because I'd like robots.txt to be able to send back 304
Not Modified messages even if $EnableIMSCaching is disabled.
I'm also going to make $EnableIMSCaching quite a bit
smarter, so that it can be cognizant of changes to configuration
files, versions, etc.