[pmwiki-users] problem w/ Kind-of blog

Ryan R. Varick rvarick at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 15:55:06 CST 2006

> I commented out the Wiki Calendar reference in config.php and that made
> the KOB error go away.

This means that you have disabled the Wiki Calendar recipe.

The problem with all of this is that, when developing KOB, I used
wikilog.php as a starting point.  I just renamed the file and started
hacking away until I had something useful.  As such, a lot of the
utility functions and variables are the same as Wiki Calendar.  So
when you use the two together, PHP gets mad because you're declaring
the same thing twice.

It's ugly, but it works. :-)

> I'm dealing with a big, sudden interest by colleagues to have a blog on
> our PmWiki site. Is the word "blog" sexier than the word "wiki"? I don't
> think so, but that's me. If it gets people who never contributed content
> to the site 'til now to start, I'm for that.

This is a complex question, in my opinion.  Right now, wikis and blogs
are two very different things.  I believe there is a lot of potential
in bringing the two together.  Hence, KOB!

> KOB looks good. I was going to go with KOB, but since it's not going to
> be developed anymore I better wait for the PmWiki core w/blog update --
> I guess. Since we do use Wiki Calendar, there's another reason to wait.

I'm glad you like it.  And I don't mean to say that I'm not developing
KOB right now.  As it is now, KOB works "as advertised."  It does what
it claims to, and I'm not aware of any major bugs.  If any come up,
I'll certainly work on fixing them ASAP.

I should have said that I'm taking a "wait and see" approach to new
development.  Blogging support in the core is very close right now.
If you follow Pm's beta threads, he's said it will make it into PmWiki
shortly after 2.1 is out the door.

The thing with KOB is that it is based on a recipe that is already
once or twice removed from the core.  I'm not a PHP hacker, and I'm
not terribly familiar with the internals of PmWiki.  I don't really
understand what Pm and the others are talking about with the new
blogging support.

So I am going to wait until there are concrete examples available
before deciding what to do with KOB.  Perhaps it will be of some use,
perhaps not.  Perhaps there will be a new niche for KOB.  I'm not
sure.

In any case, KOB works if you need it now.  If you want to wait,
bigger, better blogging is coming to PmWiki.

Ryan