[pmwiki-users] Automatic reloading of modified page

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Jan 18 14:45:09 CST 2006

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com schrieb:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Mikael Nilsson wrote:
>
>>Better to use a firefox extension such as
>>http://reloadevery.mozdev.org/

Even better would be something that works with every browser.

Fortunately, it exists - just use a timed redirect. (I bet you've seen
those occasional "you'll be redirected" messages...)

With appropriate HTTP header trickery, it may even be possible to avoid
a page reload if the page contents hasn't changed in the mean time. (Not
my area of expertise though - it might be difficult to make it work with
every server/browser combination.)

It could even work with normal PmWiki pages, even those one isn't
editing at that time. Just open the page with the appropriate
parameters, something along the lines of
   http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Main/HomePage?refresh=20
which would auto-refresh the page every 20 Seconds. You'd see even those
changes done by others :-)

Another approach might be a "Preview in another window" button. A simple
   target='_blank'
attribute on a link would do the trick (I'm not sure whether that would
work - I'm not sure that <input type='submit'...> takes a target=
attribute).

HTH
Jo