[pmwiki-users] 404 Not Found

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 25 15:12:42 CST 2006

On 1/24/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 01:38:02AM +0000, Hans wrote:
> > So i wonder if these not desired options can be filtered out?
>
> Unfortunately, it's often difficult to infer desire from urls --
> desire often depends on context.  :-)

[I have a quite a bit say about this and not much time to write about
it, so I'll break my response into chunks.]

First let me say that PmWiki Philosophy #1 (avoid obstacles to active
contribution) is paramount here.  For the vast majority of wiki
editors and site visitors, fewer choices is better.

With that in mind, it's much better to get the 404 page exactly right
95+% of the time than it is to  compromise and try cover every
possibility.  In other words it's important, as Hans points out,  to
filter out not-desired options -- even if it means missing out on some
desired option on rare occasions.

Question: How does someone arrive at a URL that points to a "missing
page"?  By hitting a link in a wiki page?  By URL hacking?  Some other
way?

It's not easy see a 404 page by hitting a link in an existing wiki page, is it?

[[Test.MissingPage]] results in a link with ?n=Test.MissingPage?action=edit

[[MissingPage]] results in a link with ?n=CurrentGroup.MissingPage?action=edit

That leaves URL hacking or some other way, right?...

[continued...]

Hagan