[pmwiki-users] passwords

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 09:24:40 CST 2006

On 1/27/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:43:27PM -0800, Phil Seyer wrote:
> >  In the documentation I have trouble telling when I need to substitue my own specific data into the command line.
> >
> Do you have any suggestions how we could better indicate where
> substitutions should take place...?  Christian Ridderström suggests
>
>     $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = crypt('<edit_password>');
>
> my only concern is that people will start to assume that the angle
> brackets are part of the syntax.

A lot of the code fragments are used verbatim, so it's understandable
that non-coders don't know what should be changed and what should not.
Somebody would inevitably assume the angle brackets belonged there.

The traditional method, in a book, would be to use a typographic
convention.  Then I realized that most of the instances where we need
the convention are in uninterpreted blocks, where we can't style the
text.  So the best solution is probably to make it clear in the
accompanying documentation which chunk should be changed and what to.

Bronwyn