[pmwiki-users] Stand alone server capability?

mike moller mike.moller at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 03:41:32 CDT 2006

Hi all

I have a website project based on PmWiki that I'm comfortable with working
up for multi-user production use under an Apache server - so I have some,
albeit incomplete knowledge, of what PmWiki is capable of.

However I could do with some wise guidance on a new project that's under
consideration. It's a re-implementation and enhancement of an existing
Database application that's used on a stand alone basis. My thoughts have
gone to PmWiki to provide the GUI level (just love the flexibility of the
markup schemes :-) and putting the Database into MySQL - I see there's a
recipe in the cookbook that'll take me down that track.

The question I have is, given that finished application is for single-user
stand-alone use is it viable to host it using the development server that's
available for PmWiki? or are that cut down server's limitations such that I
would be blocked at some fundamental level from being able to reach out from
its PmWiki to reach a MySQL database?

I'm quite comfortable about going off down the learning trail that may be
needed, but I'd rather like a sanity check from those who may know, as to
whether there's a fundamental show stopping issue out there which could turn
my ascent of  the learning curve into a fool's errand.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to assist me.
--
Mike Moller
Lallybroch Alpacas