[pmwiki-users] wysiwyg editor for wiki

Chris Cox ccox at airmail.net
Thu Jul 20 18:25:55 CDT 2006

Pico wrote:

> So, to make sure that I am clear here, I am not talking about some holy grail of
> WikiWYSIWYG.  The goal is much more modest.  I called it WYGWNSY ("what you get
> will not surprise you") in PITS/00773 before I knew about WYSIWYM, but whatever
> we call it, I think it would be a huge first step (and I think that for many
> people who are thinking about WYSISYG, that first step might be enough).

Well.. without building a much larger acronym... it has to and must
surprise you... you and I will just have to disagree on that matter.

I snipped the other parts of your posts, but it was filled with
restrictions that go contrary to the feature set of PmWiki (which
is why I feel that a structured environment like PmWiki is not
well suited for this).

I'm not saying that a live renderer with complete contextual
understanding (full css and localized wikistyle handling) isn't
possible... but when I think of the plethora of recipes that
could have been written in the time it takes to develop
this... sigh....

Perhaps what is needed is a recipe for wysiwyg enclosures.
Then you're not creating wiki markup, but rather creating
direct html that is embedded with some meta information (or
simply a rich content with a well defined HTML presentation)
that exists outside of the css and style structure of
PmWiki.... think embedded frame.

That's probably doable and doesn't defeat the feature set
of PmWiki... just handles a blob with it's own set of
language and rules (e.g. HTML) and makes it embeddable
and has some non-pmwiki way to make edits.

I think I've said at least a nickel's worth now...
Chris