[pmwiki-users] DOCTYPE suppression is that bad?

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Thu Jul 27 18:48:25 CDT 2006

> Balu wrote:
> Perhaps use some "conditional comments" that can be used to give IE
> some special handling? (Just google for the phrase to learn about it)

> Marc wrote:
> To fix your problem, first use the appropriate DOCTYPE - it's
> mandatory after all - then start fixing the Javascript.

Thank you, Balu and Marc.
Fixing the Javascript is far beyond my skill.
So, putting together your precious suggestions I opted to restore the
original DOCTYPE for all browsers *but* IE. This way Mozilla,
Opera,... users will get the right document and the working
javascript, while IE users will get a working javascript and a
DOCTYPE-less document, plus an invitation to download Mozilla. If
something goes wrong for them, it will be their problem, after all
it's them who insist on using IE although there are better browsers
ready at hand...
This is the code I inserted at the top of the template (adjusted to
English here):

     <!--[if IE]>
     <small>Using Internet Explorer might create problems.
     Please download and install
     take just 3 minutes of your time.</small>
     <![endif]-->

     <![if !IE]>
     <![endif]>

Thank you, again!