[pmwiki-users] DOCTYPE suppression is that bad?

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Sat Jul 29 06:55:22 CDT 2006

> David Spitzley wrote:
> Just curious, but where is the website?  With a couple of the Firefox
> plug-ins I've got installed, it might not be too hard to figure out
> what's broken and causing IE to freak out.

The site is supposed to be a password protected intranet, but the
javascript is here
http://www.codelifter.com/main/javascript/float_slideshow.shtml for
you to try. Actually, it is quite practical, for I use it to let a a
tiny chat float over the pages on the *bottom-right* (please note) of
the screen. Things are that, unless I suppress the DOCTYPE, the chat
(just in IE) doesn't float but sits at the bottom of the page, which
quite often happens to be *out* of the window.
Here is why I wanted to suppress DOCTYPE for IE.

Note: maybe a completely different approach, something like Gmail
chat, that keeps the small chat window at the bottom of the screen,
and let it hide/slide in case of need, would be more practical and
less obstrusive, but I could not find an available javascript/code for
that on the internet.

> Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> You should probably have that the other way around, since the DOCTYPE
> needs to be the first thing in the document.

Yes, Kathryn.
I swapped the two commands, now.
You are right, I also heard of DOCTYPE as something that needs to be
the first thing in the page.
Yet I feel puzzled: if it has to be the *very* first thing, how can I
put a conditional statement before it?

> porneL wrote:
> Also don't use <![if !IE]>. If you have to, use: <!--[if !IE]><x-->

But in the document that Balu cited on this thread
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/ccomment_ovw.asp
they just tell different.
I agree that Microsoft is not always a source of trust, but they are
quite skilled people anyway.
Why do you say so, porneL? Could you please write an example that
disables DOCTYPE in case of IE (all versions), and keeps it in place
for non-IE browsers?

Luigi