[pmwiki-users] paging

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Sat Jul 29 19:24:42 CDT 2006

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 07:35:32PM +0200, Thomas N. Burg wrote:
> The challenge is that the participants just write their names etc. in
> one page and obviously don't want to create a new page (execpt one
> person so far). I asked them to do so but, you know, it's easier to
> just edit without creating a new page.
>
> With paging I mean something like a manual page-break with numbering
> or an automatic one say after 500 signs or 20 lines or ..

Ah, I guessed correctly, then.
The problem is that a page is a page is a page.  There is nothing in
PmWiki to split pages.

Now there is the (:include:) directive, which can include certain
numbers of lines from a page, but so far as I know, you would need to
create all the directives separately.  To explain a bit more...

Say your signups page is called "Signups"

You could make a page "Signups1" which contains

(:include Signups lines=1..100:)

This would display the first 100 lines of the Signups page.

And another page "Signups2" which contains

(:include Signups lines=101..200:)

You would have to create each one by hand, which really doesn't save you
much effort, and there would still be this huge Signups page.

And if you have to create these pages by hand anyway, you might as well
just do some cut-and-paste on the Signups page, grab the first 100
signups, put them in a new page Signups1, and delete them from 'Signups'
putting a link there instead to Signups1, and so on.

Either that, or *force* all signups to be done by participants creating
a new page, with one of the "new page" recipes such as
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/NewPageBox
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/NewPageBoxPlus
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/NewPageForm
or
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AddPageForm

Basically change the "Signups" page to be a form for creating a new
page, just saying that they have to put their name in the form in order
to sign up, that should remove their objections that it is "too hard".

You would have a group called something like "Participants", and the new
page form would be set to create a page in that group.

Then you could list all the participants by using pagelist on the
individual particpant pages.

Kathryn Andersen