[pmwiki-users] Hierarchial pages v.s. hierarchical groups (Was: Subpages)

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Thu Jun 1 16:14:38 CDT 2006

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com schrieb:
> What is it that we actually want. Do we want hierarchical pages or
> hierarchical groups?

I'm not sure who "we" is in this case, but I want both.

> I think it'd probably be very good to clarify the distinction between
> these two concepts. If there is any...

Um... let me try a definition.

A "hierarchical group" is a set of pages with a common URL prefix that
ends with some syntactic marker.
(I.e. foobar and foofum don't form a group, but foo.bar and foo.fum do.)

A "hierarchical page" is one that consists of sections, which in turn
may consist of subsections, subsubsections etc.

Actually the two concepts are rather dissimilar technically. I think
they should be made as similar as possible, to make it easy to transform
a hierarchical page into a hierarchical group and vice versa, but that
would be something that PmWiki would have to provide, similarities won't
occur as side effects.

Regards,
Jo