[pmwiki-users] Hierarchial pages v.s. hierarchical groups (Was: Subpages)

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Thu Jun 1 19:26:55 CDT 2006

On Friday, 2 June 2006 9:14 AM, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
>christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com schrieb:
>> What is it that we actually want. Do we want hierarchical pages or
>> hierarchical groups?
>
>I'm not sure who "we" is in this case, but I want both.
>
>> I think it'd probably be very good to clarify the distinction between
>> these two concepts. If there is any...
>
>Um... let me try a definition.
>
>A "hierarchical group" is a set of pages with a common URL prefix that
>ends with some syntactic marker.
>(I.e. foobar and foofum don't form a group, but foo.bar and
>foo.fum do.)
>
>A "hierarchical page" is one that consists of sections, which in turn
>may consist of subsections, subsubsections etc.

... and may be represented as one or more nested wiki pages?

Jo, do you find a need for (I don't have a good name for it)
"relationship pages"? I'm thinking of cases where Pages in
Group C define a many-to-many relationship between pages
in Group A and pages in Group B?

I am wondering whether the discussion ought to consider other
sorts of relationships, not just hierarchies.

--
JR