[pmwiki-users] (:description:) and (:include:)

Jon Haupt jhaupt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 23:17:57 CDT 2006

On 6/1/06, Jon Haupt <jhaupt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> When (:include:)ing a page, the (:title:) and (:description:) tags
> work differently.  I think it's already been mentioned that it's a
> problem how including other pages can cause funny things to happen
> when, for example, the (:title:) markup on an included page changes
> the title for the current page.
>
> But the two markups work differently.  With (:title:) you can simply
> add another (:title:) markup to the end of the page in question to
> reverse the effect, but with (:description:) the various descriptions
> are added together to create one big mishmash of descriptions.
>
> So, for example, I have on my Home Page several blog entries
> (individual pages) included via a pagelist.  Each blog entry has a
> (:title:) and (:description:) entry of its own.  There are five
> included on the home page, plus the home page has it's own title and
> description.  So in the end my description metatag is cluttered with 6
> different descriptions.
>
> Is there any way to avoid this in a quick fix?  Is there the
> possibility of fixing the overarching problem?
>
> Jon

FWIW, I came up with a quick fix solution to my own problem.  In order
to avoid the mounting included (:description:) problem, I placed the

(:if name Simon.Blocks:)(:description Something about simon and his
blocks:)(:if:)

This means that anyone the Simon.Blocks page features this meta tag,
but when this page is included via pagelist at Main.HomePage, this
description is ignored.  Bonus: the RSS feed, built from a pagelist,
still gets furnished with the description metatags.

Jon