[pmwiki-users] PmWiki's Google Map API support ZIP Codes . . .

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 17:40:21 CDT 2006

I know this is no help to our international friends, but I've made the
first step toward flexibility for the Google Map API by adding ZIP
code support.[1] If I could find the right conversion file (i.e. one
that had enough cities on it), I could probably implement
international support.[2]

I'm cheap, so the ZIP codes were obtained from the U.S. Census bureau.
They stopped using ZIP codes in 1999 to compile census data, so the
codes are a wee bit old. Rather than post that big file on PmWiki,
I've got it on my project page.[3]

I've also let my hair down a bit and given visitors a rare chance to
edit a page to demonstrate the use of ZIP codes.[4] I will also open
the regular Example page.[5]

Finally, I would like to thank Des for his help over the past few
weeks.[6] He's been a great set of eyes when I've gone code happy and
has also helped improve the Cookbook documentation.

And, yes, it was inspired by Pm's Frappr announcement.

Ben

[1]: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/GoogleMapAPI
[2]: The ones I have suggest that nations like Germanyhave only three cities.
[3]: http://dausha.net/GoogleMapAPI
[4]: http://dausha.net/GoogleMapAPI/ZIPExample GuestUser/quick
[4]: http://dausha.net/GoogleMapAPI/Example GuestUser/quick
[5]: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Profiles/Des