[pmwiki-users] Srolling boxes

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Wed Jun 7 21:46:00 CDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 10:06:10AM +1200, John Rankin wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 June 2006 5:53 PM, Kathryn Andersen <kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org> wrote:
> >Agreed that it is an unhappy experience, however if it is put into the
> >default pmwiki style sheet for the <pre> tag, I would *beg* that the
> >width be given in ems and not pixels.  Fixed widths in pixels are a Bad
> >Thing.
>
> OK, lead me by the hand, please. The horizontal scroll bar is desirable
> because of the physical constraint of screen width, not the relative
> text size. So isn't pixels a better measure? Or is that a really
> dumb question?

Because you don't know how many pixels to use, because you have no idea
how big the screen is of the person reading the site.  Which makes the
experience really annoying for the reader if they don't happen to have
the exact same screen size as guessed by the person making the site.

On second thought, having size in ems is possibly the second-best, with
having the size as a percentage probably better.  Because what one
*wants* is something which fits the size of their screen, yes?
And since CSS will take sizes as "of the container", then making <pre>
tags overflow to 90-100% of their container is probably better.

If only overflow=auto worked for all browsers. (sigh)

Kathryn Andersen