[pmwiki-users] Preventing vandalism

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Sat Jun 10 06:42:16 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 12:59:48AM +0200, kirpi at kirpi.it wrote:
>>> I don't have contact with all active contributors and I'd like to keep
>>> Wiki completly open anyway.
>> Just an idea, while reading these lines; is there any way to let the
>> posts (read edits) to a site/group/page be handled about the same way
>> they often are in many usenet forums or blogs, or even shared
>> calendars, which is: queued for a "moderator" to approve them?
>> This could be rather useful, at times, maybe.
>
> Yes, it can be done.  I'll write up a complete recipe for it,
> but the essential concept is to change Site.EditForm so that the
> "Save as draft" button is labelled "Save" and is all that
> a typical author sees, while the "Save" button is labeled
> "Publish" and and is displayed only to moderators.
>
> Pm

What happen with multiple edits prior to approval under such approaches?

For example, if five authors edit a page (one after another) before the
moderator approves any change, what versions of the page is each person
presented with?

Would each author edit the original page, or the unapproved "draft" page
as it existed when the author started editing?

Would the moderator be presented with a single draft page that reflects
the cumulative edits of all five authors, or with five drafts that must
be reconciled?

How would such approaches differ from the process that occurs now, when
authors edit PmWiki.org and Pm reviews those changes in preparing
documentation for distribution?

I suppose that all my questions might be answered if I had a clearer
understanding of how drafts work under PmWiki right now.  In that light,
if you humor me by explaining the obvious, I will try to incorporate it
into the documentation about drafts.

Pico