[pmwiki-users] Can redirect send 301?

bram brambring bram.brambring at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 03:03:58 CDT 2006

> I guess the broader question is whether or not this is necessary.  I'd
> like to give Google, et al a chance to properly reindex my site
> without causing too much trouble.  Does this sound like a good
> approach?  Is 302 sufficient?  I don't know that much about HTTP and
> search engines.    I do know that I will want to get rid of my old
> pages after a few months, if only because I like a tidy server.

if it's in the same domain a 301 is the correct way to tell google and
friends that a page has been moved.

When it's to a different domain some say a 302 is better until google
is used to the new domain ( the sandbox effect however not all agree
this really exists) then change to a 301

I preffer to send a 301 whenever I permanently moved a page ( that's
what it says after all). However the redirect function is in the
pmwiki core

Instead for all (:redirect:) directives I create rewrite rules for
them in the .htaccess file and remove the files from the wiki.d Better
for maintenance (like orphaned pages ) as well.

bram