[pmwiki-users] Site performance - wikifarm vs. multiple independent installations?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jun 19 10:44:54 CDT 2006

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 10:30:30AM -0400, Russ wrote:
> I'm looking to convert a number of small, independent sites to PmWiki.
> In light of the recent posts about server performance, my question is this:
>
> In a shared hosting environment, would I obtain better performance from
> having a wiki farm with 10 fields, or 10 separate PmWiki installations
> in subdirectories?

There really shouldn't be much difference between the two approaches.

> I anticipate the sites to be fairly low volume, but
> would one or two more popular sites make a difference (say, in excess of
> 20,000 visits per month per site)?

PmWiki should be able to handle a volume of 20,000 visits/month
without any difficulty.  By way of comparison, pmwiki.org gets
around 25,000 wiki page requests per *day*.

> Would the answer change for a dedicated server?

A dedicated server should be able to handle a lot of volume.