[pmwiki-users] Can redirect send 301?

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Jun 28 03:37:05 CDT 2006

Ryan R. Varick schrieb:
> On 6/27/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>> At various times in the past we've discussed the possibility of
>> providing an option to (:redirect:) to indicate if it should
>> include the from= string in the url (or to provide an alternate
>> message on the receiving end), but I haven't settled on an
>> appropriate set of options yet.  Suggestions are welcome.  :-)
>
> Perhaps something as simple as a "silent" option would work?
> (:redirect NewPage status=301,silent:) or (:redirect NewPage
> status=301 options=silent:),

Slightly off-topic, but still relevant: please don't force users to say
"301", have them say "permanent".

The full list of redirect codes that I have been finding useful are:

301 permanent
     The original URL has gone away, never to return.
     Browsers looking for the original URL should always check
     the redirected-to URL in the future, and never look at the
     original URL again.

307 temporary
     The original URL has gone away, but will return in the foreseeable
     future.
     Browsers should continue to check the original URL in the future.

302 found
     The browser may be redirected to a different URL every time it is
     called. This is part of the intended semantics of the site.
     (In a wiki context, this would be the right code for a "random
     page" link.)
     This is a little-known redirect code that's useful for "dispatch
     pages" (i.e. pages that redirect to other pages based on the
     results of some internal computation).
     I.e. for 302, the redirect isn't part of the normal semantics of
     the site, but for 302, it is.

I'd say that "permanent" and "temporary" are useful choices for
(:redirect:), with "permanent" as the default mode.

HTH
Jo