[pmwiki-users] Having difficult with .htaccess files

phenotype immunophenotype at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 18:52:39 CDT 2006

Hi folks,

I'm new to PmWiki, and I've been really happy with how good it looks
and how easy it's been to configure (especially compared to the awful
experience I had with trying to install phpWiki), but for some reason
I can't get pretty URLs using .htaccess files calling mod_rewrite. I
know mod_rewrite is enabled and is working, because I have a
WordPress install that has pretty permalinks (also, I edited the
httpd.conf to turn on .htaccess myself) but whenever I use the
example .htaccess files from the PmWiki site, I just get dumped back
to the directory listing. I can access the pmwiki.php file from
there, and the URLs display like they should be, but clicking on them
gives me a 404 error every time. I'm totally stumped!

This is the .htaccess file I'm using right now:

# Use mod_rewrite to enable "Clean URLs" for a PmWiki installation.
RewriteEngine On
# Define the rewrite base.
RewriteBase /wiki
# Send requests without parameters to pmwiki.php.
RewriteRule ^$           pmwiki.php  [L]
# Send requests for index.php to pmwiki.php.
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ pmwiki.php  [L]
# Send requests to pmwiki.php, appending the query string part.
RewriteRule ^([^/a-z].*) pmwiki.php?n=$1  [QSA,L]

The /wiki directory is in my site root (/var/www/html/), and I want
the wiki to appear at the /wiki directory, as you can tell.

I'm running Apache 2.0 on a Fedora Core 2 based box, and it has PHP
4.3.11 installed on it.

Thanks so much for your help!