[pmwiki-users] Question about Skin versioning

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jun 30 08:13:27 CDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 05:47:59PM +1000, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> I've been working on my own Skin (used on the Wiki part of my site)
> and I was thinking of adding it to the Skins section on the PmWiki
> Cookbook (after a bit more polishing).  However, I've noticed that in
> the Cookbook and Skins areas, some people put versions on their uploaded
> files, and some don't.  So I'm wondering whether I should or not.
>
> The advantage of putting versions on the archive files themselves is, of
> course, that you know what version one is talking about.
> The disadvantage, I assume, is the nature of Attach: in PmWiki, in that
> you can upload files but if you want to replace them, you need to have
> the same name, and you can't delete uploaded files.  (Unless you're the
> administrator).  And people might not want to clutter up the space with
> old files.
>
> So, what should I do?

Do whatever works best for you.  Personally, I go with the
unversioned names and let the skins page indicate the version number
(actually, date of latest version).  But I'm not too worried about
cluttering the uploads space with extra files, so putting version
numbers isn't that big an issue.

Because of some other (paid) projects I have going on, it's very
likely that I'll be writing a "find/remove unlinked attachments"
recipe in the next month or so.

Hope this helps,