[pmwiki-users] Putting ".html" extensions onto pages

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Mar 1 11:07:43 CST 2006

Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> A question for the list:  I'm thinking of setting the core distribution
> so that it ignores any ".html" extension that happens to appear at
> the end of a pagename in a url.

That would be in line with sites that ignore extensions in URLs.
It's a Good Thing to promote extensionless URLs: if the URL reads
.../blah, the server will deliver blah.html if it's available, or
blah.php if it's available, etc. - this allows web administrators to
switch between PHP, ASP, Perl, or plain HTML depending on what they need
for a given URL.

> Why do this?  Well, for normal interactive sites, it's not needed.
> But some people feel more comfortable seeing page names with ".html"
> in the url,

Actually it's the other way round: URLs should end with .html (or .php
or whatever).

 > and it also enables more possibilities for creating
> off-line, static copies of pages on the site that can still be
> navigated by a browser.

Exactly.

Regards,
Jo