[pmwiki-users] Putting ".html" extensions onto pages

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Mar 1 11:22:17 CST 2006

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 05:54:08PM +0100, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> It's considerably more variant. Here's a run-down off the top of my head:
>
> Case 1: No PathInfo. Wikipage URLs have the form
> .../pmwiki.php?n=Group.Page. Everything that has the same prefix but
> doesn't start with pmwiki.php is a non-PmWiki URL that's served without
> PmWiki intervention.
>
> Case 2: With PathInfo, but no CleanUrls recipe. Wikipage URLs have the
> form .../pmwiki.php/Group/Page. Everything that has the same prefix but
> doesn't start with pmwiki.php is a non-PmWiki URL that's served without
> PmWiki intervention.
>
> Case 3: With PathInfo and a CleanUrls recipe. Wikipage URLs start with a
> lowercase letter (in the a-z range). All other URLs are non-PmWiki URLs
> that are served without PmWiki intervention.

I'm a little confused about that "Wikipage URLS start with
a lowercase letter" part.  The way I've seen this mostly done
is that urls beginning with a lowercase letter are *not* wikipage
urls, but are served w/o PmWiki intervention.  (The newer version
of the CleanUrls recipe tends to look for the existence of a targeted
file or directory to decide if the request should be passed along
to PmWiki.)

> Case 4: Everything is served through pmwiki.php. (There was a discussion
> on that; I don't know whether this ever materialized as a recipe. It's
> certainly something to consider for the "ignore extensions" change - we
> don't want extensions ignored when serving files!)

Setting $EnableDirectDownload=0; in the config.php file causes
upload urls to be generated to pass through the pmwiki.php request,
as either .../pmwiki.php?n=Group.Page?action=download&upname=attach.ext
or .../pmwiki.php/Group/Page?action=download&upname=attach.ext .
Any ".html" extension in this case would belong to the pagename,
not the uploaded/downloaded file, producing

    .../pmwiki.php/Group/Page.html?action=download&upname=attach.ext

which doesn't affect the extension of the attachment.