[pmwiki-users] More on AuthUser

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Mar 3 09:06:08 CST 2006

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 03:45:21PM +0100, Marco Ferretti wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was trying to use the group capability authorization of AuthUser but i
> cannot find documentation on that. I tried looking @ the authuser.php script
> but it seems to me that it doesn't handle it while on
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AuthUser it sais " The ability to manage
> groups is added in 2.1.beta8. --Pm" ( and I am running pmwiki-2.1.beta30 ) .
> What I would like to do is give access rights to group of pages ( wiki
> groups ) to group of users ... can anybody point me somewhere ??

The Cookbook.AuthUser page was written prior to 2.1.beta8, and hasn't
been updated to describe the group capabilities.  (Eventually this
is all going to be part of the PmWiki docs as soon as someone gets
a chance to write it up.)

But here's the basic way it works:

1. In the Site.AuthUser page, define groups of users using the @ syntax.
   You can specify the users belonging to a group, as in

       @editors: alice, carol
       @visitors: bob, carol

   or you can specify the groups for an individual user, as in

       alice: @editors
       bob: @visitors
       carol: @editors, @visitors

   (You can even mix the two styles -- whatever is most convenient.)

2. Then, to restrict a page or wikigroup to one of the above, just
   use "@editors" or "@admins" as the password.  So, if you wanted
   to restrict editing of pages in the XYZ wikigroup to the editors
   user group, you would set the edit password on XYZ.GroupAttributes
   to be "@editors".